Family Room additions
Transform your living space with a custom family room addition.
A room addition adds custom living space, making it a true lifestyle upgrade. Installing windows, a fireplace, built-in shelving, or other custom touches builds value and beauty into your home.
Hambleton Construction has been building family room additions in Virginia for nearly a decade. We look forward to helping you transform your home.
Family Room Addition Ideas
Open up the kitchen/family room space
Create a home theater
Make room for formal entertaining
Install a fireplace
Open the house to the outdoors
Benefits of a Family Room Addition
- Planning to move in the near future? You can expect to recoup about 63 percent of the cost when you sell your home.
- The new room can add lots of light. You can opt for floor-to-ceiling glass, or a bow, bay, or picture window, add skylights…there are endless ways to let light in to your new family room! And if you choose to have an archway or cutout built into the existing exterior wall, the light will reach even more of the house. This Arlington great room addition we built boasts exceptional light.
- Open family room additions are often added off the kitchen, which, in addition to making the kitchen look and feel bigger, opens up the space and increases room for family gatherings, entertaining, and just hanging out.
See our projects page for family room addition pictures.
Things to Consider When Planning a Family Room Addition
When planning a family room addition for your Northern Virginia home, be sure to take these factors into account:
- You will likely need additional HVAC to make the new room comfortable (a smaller addition may just need added ductwork or a small HVAC unit)
- The addition will take up some of your yard, leaving you with less outdoor space
- The work will take about 2 – 3 months or longer (depending on the scope of the project) to fully complete. We do our best to minimize the disruption to your daily activities and to ensure your comfort during construction.
Will I Need an Architect to Design My Addition?
When building an addition, you will need professional drawings by an architect.
Engaging an architect on your family room addition project ensures that:
- You see what you are going to get before it is built. A professional architect can show you computer renderings of your project so you can approve the design.
- Everyone is on the same page. Professional drawings clarify the necessary work and job specifications, allowing an accurate project bid.
- The finished product looks great, is practical to use, and will be a sound investment. The extra money spent on a good architect is always worth the cost.
If you don’t already have an architect, we can suggest a local professional that we use regularly and recommend highly.